one good deed a day
an ongoing journal of a few good deeds throughout this year
9. jan 9. floss » because it's important to do small good deeds for yourself too…
10. jan 10. figure out how to print double-sided » another good tip is to reuse your scrap paper, especially if you have one of those printers that likes to recalibrate the ink cartridges… no need to waste a perfectly clean sheet of paper!
11. jan 11. bring your own bags to the store » a few grocery stops today, since tomorrow we are starting a kind of cleanse called the WHOLE30, a diet of unprocessed foods… (no bread & cheese may make for a little whining, let's just be honest)
12. jan 12. say hello to strangers, especially to the elderly » and especially when they are toughing it out at the gym!! You GO!
13. jan 13. listen to your heart » even if it means breaking it…
14. jan 14. take a deep breath. now take two more. repeat » remember, this is enough.
The past few days have been the hardest… Our Gracie girl has been with us nearly half our lives on this earth… She has filled every moment of our lives with goodness & joy, love & understanding. Everything around us & every part of our being contains a piece of her…
On Tuesday, January 13th, we opened our hearts up just a little bit more. Daddy brought you breakfast in bed, and we sat in our little circle of three, our sweet family… enjoying the life we've made together, realizing it was long & completely full. As the day went on, we snuggled, shared stories… enjoyed plenty of cookies & sweet potatoes & lots of turkey. We spent a few moments outside, looking towards the sunshine, just letting it warm our faces as the cool breeze gave us a soft embrace. We said I love you… over & over & over again. We laughed & cried and hugged each other, and we watched you fall asleep. And we stroked your fur and said everything's gonna be alright, that you were the best of us, and that now, sweet baby… you are free. Daddy carried you, mommie right beside him… and we cried a little more. And as we laid you to rest sweet girl, we saw the most beautiful sunset. And we knew with all our hearts… you were now smiling down from above.
Gracie Zikas » July 12, 2000 to January 13, 2015